I have an enormous family. I have four siblings, six half-siblings (the bastards), a workaholic mum, and an alcoholic dad who died from liver cancer. I was brainwashed from kindergarten to high school in a Catholic university, was similarly brainwashed for the first two years of college in a Jesuit university, but finally found liberty in the University of the Philippines where I studied literature and writing. I've published my literary works in obscure anthologies. Recently I was a fellow to the longest running writers workshop in Asia. I'm currently the Chief Writer and Editor of a travel magazine. I love cats, geek toys, and vegetables. Also, I hate explaining myself like this.
I read helluvalot: I swallow facts during work and I swallow fiction during my free time. Started reading when I was ten; I got hooked to literature when I read my sister's copy of J.D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye. Currently I read transgressive fiction, science fiction, and them dead giants from the canon. I look up to Orwell, Vonnegut, Moore, Palahniuk, Camus, Dostoevsky, Auster, Beckett, and Dickens, just to name a few. My favorite writer is Anthony Burgess, a fat writer with a fat brain and a fat imagination. Burgess conjured a fat character in his fat four-novel collection The Complete Enderby, my favorite book.
I own a few durable stuff. I read a few excellent books. I watch a few excellent films. I have a few intimate friends. I don't watch TV, read magazines or newspapers. I don't know what's happening and I don't give a damn. Besides water, I only drink liquor and black coffee. I prefer cooking cheap and delicious vegetarian meals. I don't believe in the government, nor do I in God. I don't need them, besides. Some people call this deprivation. I call this economy.
When you hear the word "hedonism" the first thing that comes to mind is a porn scene of fleshy people rubbing against each other--no. Hedonism is simply the avoidance of pain and the pursuit of pleasure. But that's what evolution has been doing for the past billions of years, silly. Hence, I've long surrendered myself to evolution. I eat and drink and sleep as much as I want. I read books and watch movies as much as I want. I think and write as much as I want. I climb mountains as much as I want. I do anything and everything I want, as much as I want. All animals are doing it; that's what we're wired to do all this time.:p
I write because...
- Because I'm bored.
- Humans as a species are obsessed with recording themselves.
- I want something to look back to when I get older.
- It's the only way I know how to express myself.
- My memory has a lifespan of two years. Any older than that is just a blur.
- Words can frame and organize what memories cannot.
- Everything I know I learned from writers.
- It's fun to create new worlds and new characters and new stories.
- Thinking and writing is free.
- I want to sway people into my way of thinking sometimes.
- It's some sort of a therapy, an anti-drug too.
- To satisfy this urge to create something.
- It's liberating and exhilarating and surprising.
- Because I am nothing but someone with ideas and the temerity to post them.
- To have my own version of reality.